Stable Management Challenge
Sunday, July 14, 2019
The two top scorers in the Written Test in each of the age groups for ages 11 through 21 will be invited to participate in a practical Stable Management test. A list of riders qualifying for this competition will be posted outside of the Show Office on Saturday.
This year’s Stable Management Challenge will consist of a list of scenarios and skills. Each competitor in the Challenge will be asked to answer questions about a particular topic, identify items in a practical situation or demonstrate skills chosen at random from the list below.
The list is being provided so that you may study and be prepared to the best of your ability to respond to the Challenge chosen for you from the list.
1) Know the normal ranges of temperature, pulse and respiration. Describe how to take each vital sign and demonstrate the taking of TPR on a live horse.
2) Standing Wrap and Polo Wrap. Choose appropriate materials from the materials provided, explain the use(s) for each type of wrap and demonstrate the correct application of both a standing wrap and a polo wrap.
3) Helmet Fit. Demonstrate how to correctly fit a helmet to a rider’s head and what are the steps to make sure it is being worn appropriately.
4) Halter Fit and Quick Release Knot. Demonstrate how to correctly fit a halter and explain your reasoning. Demonstrate the correct tying of a quick release knot and explain why this is important and what it is used for.
5) Digital Pulse. Explain where and how you take a digital pulse. Demonstrate taking a digital pulse. Explain when you would take a digital pulse and what information it gives you.
6) Saddle Fitting. Explain and demonstrate how to fit a saddle. Explain why correct saddle fit is important.
7) Basic First Aid and Emergency Wound Care. An emergency situation will be presented. Explain what you find and specifically how you would handle the situation. Be able to demonstrate basic wound care that would be required.